Effective assessment in higher education: a cultural-historical activity theoretical perspective
- HE and CHAT BERA SiG Event
- 10 May 2013
- Institute of Education, University of London, London
The project, overall, is an evaluation of a computer-aided assessment (CAA) system for mathematics and engineering undergraduates.
In order to perform such an evaluation, there requires a set of standards or criteria against which the assessment can be compared. For this project, we have developed a “definition for effective assessment” that considers aspects of the assessment literature and cultural historical activity theory. The evaluation will be performed against this definition. This presentation examines
- why creating such a definition was necessary;
- how cultural historical activity theory and assessment literature has informed the nature of the definition; and
- how the definition has been used to evaluate the CAA system for two cases.